Sunday, February 8, 2009

Interview Mistakes

The dreaded job interview!

The reasons mentioned in the article are valid interview mistakes, and unfortunately common ones. The two points that particularly stand out are being truthful and not asking stupid questions during an interview. Obviously, lying in an interview eliminates your chances of getting the job. Making the interviewer answer stupid questions will not make a good impression or have your resume put in the possible hiring pile; actually, it may wind up in the trash can instead! Relaxing during the interview is a good tip for what can sometimes be a stressful situation. Following up after the interview is also a significant point and a step that many people do not take the time to complete. The biggest thing someone can do to prepare for an interview is to learn about the company prior to the interview. After all, you want to appear interested in the job, emphasizing your commitment to the application.

During my freshman year, I interviewed for an internship position in order to practice my interview skills. Some of the questions were: What would you contribute to the company? Do you think you could adapt living in a new location? Do you have any other questions about our company? At the beginning of the interview, I told both company representatives that I was participating in the interview for information concerning the possibility of a future internship, as well as practice of my interview skills. They were impressed that I took the time to meet with them so early in my college education and pleased that I was interested in the company. After conducting the regular interview, they offered some feedback and I was thrilled to hear the positive comments on my interview!

No comments:

Post a Comment